Friday, January 24, 2014

My hunch wasn't that crazy after all

Some of you may recall that a few weeks ago I wondered what would happen to the enforcement of prostitution laws after the Supreme Court's important ruling striking several provisions.  In particular, I was curious how police forces and prosecutors would respond to the context of what were likely to be unsuccessful prosecutions of a law still technically in effect for the coming months.

Turns out that at least in Saint John they just won't be enforcing prostitution laws until the federal government addresses the court's requirements.

I can't help but wonder how many other jurisdictions in Canada are taking the same approach?  I would imagine that most would rather not make it so clear that they won't be enforcing prostitution laws even if they won't be.

No comments: