Sunday, May 04, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 172

-Today has been quite pleasant. While the temperature would definitely be considered warm, I would not go so far as to say it has been oppressive. Possibly the most important aspect of the weather has been the fairly persistent breeze that has helped to keep things quite comfortable.

-Several days ago, just after I posted several videos of the scene before the recent Montreal Hockey Riot, I was the Canada-based YouTube contributor with the 66th most viewed content for the day. One of the videos was viewed more than 2000 times in just over a day. What is funniest about all of this is that the videos that I would consider the best are among the least viewed of the batch, while those that are close to unwatchable are the most viewed.

-Today I managed to make some coffee that was drinkable. This is good as I wasn’t able to find a place to buy prepared coffee and it also is a cost saving measure. Maybe I will be able to transfer my newly acquire skills back to Newfoundland, though I think this is highly unlikely.

-While walking next to a golf course today I was only a few feet away from being bonking on the head by a falling coconut. While it is likely that such an occurrence would make a good story, it is certainly a story that I am quite willing to live without.

-On Saturday, while on a lay over in Dulles, my father and I were talking about features, or lack thereof, of the airport. The general consensus seemed to be that there wasn’t anything all that special about the airport. Though my father did point out that unlike most major American airports, it did have a bird.

I turned around and saw that there was in fact a small bird perched on one of the signs. Shortly after we turned around to look at it, and certainly before I had a chance to pull out my camera, it flew away.

I know wonder if the bird is a permanent resident of the airport, or if it was just a short-term visitor. I guess if other people travel through the airport they could keep an eye out for the bird and let me know if they too see it.

-While traveling I started a new George Saunders book. So far, though I have only read about three of the stories, I have been quite impressed with the content, which is both funny and insightful.

-So far I seem to have continued my recently acquire habit of eating less than I should. Hopefully I will be able to rectify the problem shortly. The likely impediment to this situation is that the grocery options in Sint Marteen are much less impressive than I would have imagined. It seems that much of the food, even the tropical fruits, are imported rather than grown locally.

-Sorry for the posting shortage of these past few days. Though I didn’t have all that much on my plate I didn’t seem to find the time for communication.

It should also be noted, for purposes of full disclosure, that my watching of the TV series The Wire took much of my time and energy and was likely in part responsible for my lack of posting and emailing. Hopefully I will be able to divide my coming days that allow me to sight-see, post, email, and read (and maybe even eat and sleep).

-The computer and software that I am using are quite old and don’t seem to interact very well with Blogger or Gmail. This means that there may be problems with some of these posts, particularly the tags. Sorry if this causes any problems. Hopefully I will be on my own computer, or my father’s, in the coming days.

No comments: