Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I feel a little ashamed

It's a little embarrassing that until reading this Ottawa Citizen article I wasn't thinking about the impending 30th anniversary of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the patriation of the Canadian constitution.  And without the Charter we wouldn't have the Oakes test, and where would be we be then?

Maybe on the night of the 17th I'll have to have a celebratory beer or something.

Anyway, I guess I have to agree with Jean Chretien that this is an anniversary worth noting, though I am not sure if such an event lends itself to easy celebration?

I can't wonder if the anniversary lacks a little of the oomph one might expect because some of the changes didn't take effect for a few years, somewhat diminishing the claim that this is really the 30th anniversary of the Charter.  This fragmented start date really throws a spanner in the works, so to speak, of anniversary celebrations.

No comments: