Wednesday, September 19, 2012

And we wonder why people are confused

I love that by reading multiple headlines/news stories one may be more confused about the nature of a situation than if they had just read a single story.  I think a great example of that is in the midst of happening in Halifax presently.

It seems that Halifax's mayor, Peter Kelly, is on his way out as the executor of a long-contested estate.  The CBC's headline for their story conveying the details is:
Halifax Mayor to step down as estate executor
On the other hand, the Coast - the independent weekly that first pushed the story of the mayor's challenges as executor, has the following headline:
BREAKING NEWS: Peter Kelly removed as executor of the Mary Thibeault estate
The CBC's headline gives me the impression that Kelly had some choice in the matter while the Coast's headline seems to suggest that Kelly had no choice in the matter.  These differences seem significant to me, or am I reading more into the headline differences than I should?

No comments: