Saturday, September 13, 2014

Working for the weekend

It's just after 10:00 AM and I already feel as though I've got hours of work under my belt.

The major project I've been addressing this weekend is to put the aesthetic touches on a handrail in our basement that I constructed last weekend.  The posts (rather ugly 2x6s) are being painted a greyish colour while the hemlock handrail is retaining its natural colour.

The handrail was given a quick second coat early this morning and should be ready for a third and, maybe, final coat this afternoon (though I have a sneaking suspicion that a fourth or fifth coat may be ideal).  As each of the first two coats have been significant improvements, I'm hopeful that these additional coats will really be worth the effort.

The first of my removable posts has now been given two coats of paint is ready to be re-installed once it has fully dried.  Once this post is back in place I will swap out the other post and give it two quick coats and then re-install it.  To save time I have pre-woodfilled the second post so that I can have two streams of drying occurring simultaneously.  Ideally, both posts will be complete and back in place by Sunday evening at the latest.

Of course, while allowing paint and finishes to dry I've been busy taking care of other chores.  Dishes, laundry, and baking have all be going on in the background.  Sadly, I suspect laundry, which we've allowed to pile up all week, will also stretch through the weekend.

No comments: