So far, with each successive year we've improved our production and selected an ever improving crop array. Obviously, we're hoping for similar similar successes this year by building on what we've learned in past years.
Over the past three years we've two crops that have proven to be particularly successful: potatoes and celery.
Last year, thanks to Jeannette and my Mother, we had our potatoes in the ground early and producing potatoes early enough that we were able to have two crops in part of our potato patch.
Though starter celery plants were purchased at the same time as the original seed potatoes, they didn't end up going in the ground quite as early. If I recall correctly, we again pushed our luck and put them in just a week or so later, still in early May.
This year, based on a few photos I saw online, I'm going to try a slightly different approach with the celery. Instead of (or maybe in addition to) starter plants, I'm going to try to use the bases of the celery bunches that I buy over the next few weeks to start the plants.
So far, I've got two such plants going and I seem to be making some progress.
I'm really quite impressed by how much development I'm getting after about a week or so.
That said, I suspect that without the development of a new root structure - which I haven't seen yet - this operation may not be much of a success. Assuming I do get new roots and the growth continues, I'm hoping that by the time we're ready to transplant our celery plants we'll have a few that will be ready to go and they will have come to us at no additional cost.
Cameron - 11
Neil - 0