Tuesday, January 01, 2013

A Few Quick Notes 594

-At -3 it's as warm as it's been for quite a while in Regina.  Amazingly, the current forecast suggests that the temperatures will remain above -10 for much of the week.  Weird.  I wonder if this means that if it's sunny we might even start to see some melting?

-One of the aspects of this Regina Winter that I've really enjoyed so far is that many of the trees seem to be completely enrobed in snow/frost.  Consequently, most trees have turned white - so they look like those white fake Christmas trees (an effect I didn't know was real until I saw it with my own eyes).



Of course, the photos I've tried to take of the effect don't really do it justice.  It is incredibly striking.

-I'm not sure how it came about, but last night Jeannette and I decided to head to a movie.  I guess because New Year's Eve is such a popular party/bar night I assumed that the movie theatres, if they were even going to be open, would be empty.

Turns out I was way off.  I don't think I've ever seen a busier movie theatre.  Not only were there few parking spaces available, but once we got in we found that the movie we hoped to attend had a long line-up outside the theatre.  By the time they finally started letting people in and we were able to grab seats the theatre was close to two thirds full (though we managed to snag satisfactory seats).  Maybe even weirder is that almost everyone in attendance seemed to be between the ages of 50 and 60.

I guess this last fact about the audience composition is a little weirder when you consider that the movie we were there to see was Django Unchained, a Quentin Tarantino movie about a bounty hunting slave violently securing the freedom of his wife.  Though as far as I could tell the audience seemed to like the film, though I'm not sure exactly how much they like it.

In case you're curious, Jeannette and I were both quite underwhelmed by the movie.  We both had the impression that the script needed a few more trips through the editing cycle, if not a few major story adjustments.  And Jeannette might disagree, but I thought the cartoonish violence didn't really do the story/historical reality justice (but I guess cartoonishly gruesome violence is kind of Tarantino's trademark).

-Oh, and for no particularly good reason I decided to make a batch of English muffins this morning.



Aside from the size (they were much too small) they turned out quite nicely and were easy to make.

No comments: