Saturday, July 27, 2013

The harvest keeps on happening

It seems that every day we have to harvest some of our crops or they're turn bad.


Amazingly, even though I did a once over on the peas and beans yesterday (pictured above), I managed to snag another few servings worth today.  Of course, I should also mention that Jeannette also snagged a nice handful of kale yesterday after I finished my once-over of the place.

The other exciting news is that a few of our female pumpkin flowers actually look as though they might  end up doing something other than failing to flower before they die unceremoniously.


I'm a little worried that these developments may be a little late for us to end up with a full-fledged pumpkin by harvest time - but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

In other news, after removing the bushy parts of an arbor vitae and some evergreen bushes in the front of the house a few weeks ago we removed the stumps this morning.  Much to my surprise, the stumps came out much more easily and quickly than I anticipated.

Why these developments are important is that they should now put us in a good position to turn the area that previously housed the bushes into a secondary vegetable garden (hopefully with fewer weeds than our primary garden).  If all goes according to plan I think we'll even be able to select plants and plant positioning that will allow us to have a very attracting area.

No comments: