Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ginger Beer

(not an allusion to Cockney rhyming slang)

At some point this summer I decided to try making homemade ginger ale.

Eventually I started to build from this recipe to make raspberry beverages and, once, a juniper (i.e. gin) based drink that was surprisingly palatable.

A few days ago after buying Jeannette some ginger beer I decided to try making ginger beer (the ginger ale just didn't have a satisfying kick).

After pursuing a few recipes and developing a plan of attack I finally sprang into action tonight and purchased a few pieces of ginger at the grocery store.

After dinner I grated the ginger and then used coffee filters and funnels to extract the juice.

If all goes well we'll have something approximating ginger beer in a few days.  Unfortunately, I'm relatively certain that my recipe won't be perfect the first time around - perfection may take a few batches.

Cameron - 13
Neil - 0

No comments: