Sunday, November 22, 2015

Biggish Dig - 2

Somewhat surprisingly, given the history of the project, excavation has continued at quite a pace.  Even with just a single digging tool good progress was being made.


Of course, there was a hell of a lot of work to do.  And on the educational front, who knew that there was so much rebar hidden in the basements of old buildings?  This must be what they mean when they talk about re-inforced concrete?


Eventually a second digging tool, though smaller, was added to the mix.  This little guy's now been going at it hard for days.  Unfortunately, because I don't get a chance to watch them in action for much more time than it takes me to walk past the job site, I can't say how much of a contribution this guy is making to the original machine.  Presumably it's doing something useful?


Maybe it helps sort the rebar from the cement?


Maybe even more significant than the ramping up of the excavation of the old foundation is that the pile driving/drill has been moving around the work site and fitted with a drill attachment.


In a few instances I've even been lucky enough to see it actually drilling into the ground - suggesting that the project is working on tasks parallel to the foundation excavation.  Sadly, despite the use of this machine on a least a few of the last few days, I still haven't seen much evidence that it's digging/driving efforts extent much past the first few inches of top soil.


Then a few days ago this pile of dirt seemed to come from nowhere.  Weird.


If they're not careful they'll end up with a perfectly manicured cement floor six feet below ground level.


Of course, while I don't get to see all of these exciting developments as they happen I am starting to get the sense that I am at least getting the chance to feel some of the more significant developments.  With increasing frequency I am starting to feel a variety of vibrations as I pass my time working at my desk.  I am worried that if the shaking and jiggling is this bad without pile driving, I could really be in for a treat once the pile driving starts.

No comments: