Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 134

-The snow has continued to fall in Montreal, so much so that we now have a layer of a few centimeters, or just enough slush to get your feet nice and wet. As far as I know this is supposed to continue tomorrow. I have no idea what type of weather we are to receive on the weekend.

-A few days ago, while looking at the This American Life website, I came across the podcast The Sound of Young America. Ira suggested that it was one of his favourite podcasts and as I like Ira’s show I thought that I would give it a chance. So far I have not been all that impressed with the several episodes that I have downloaded. I guess the straight interview format is not really working for me, though it is possible that I need to give another chance. Though it isn’t really all that surprising that prepared content is of a higher quality that that is recorded off the cuff.

-Thomson House will be having its first Mustache and Cleavage Party next Thursday. Though I will be attending an Oliver Sacks reading at about 7:30 I do hope to stop by afterwards. While it is unlikely that I will be bearing cleavage there is a very good chance that I will be mustachioed, at least for that night.

-Several moments ago I returned from a walk. The walk was pretty short, just up St. Laurent a few blocks. While out, I was able to stop at La Veille Europe and pick up a few new boxes of herbal tea and one box of Russian tea. The three herbal teas that I purchased were rosehip, hibiscus and rosehip, and mountain berry (whatever that is – seemingly rosehip and hibiscus with some other stuff).

On the way back I stopped at a kitchen store and purchased a knife sharpener, hopefully ending my hunt for a quality knife sharpener that I can use to sharpen our knives.

-For the past number of weeks I have been eating a fair number of saltines, though I have tried to stick to the classy multi-grain variety. This type was chosen mainly because it has a little more flavour and texture. A few days ago, while motivated by cost, I purchased an eight-sleeve pack of the traditional type of saltine. Aside from lacking a variety of grains, the most noticeable difference is the amount of salt. The new guys are coated in the stuff whereas the other variety had just a light dusting. It seems that I may have to revert to the multi-grain type, even if they are a little more expensive.

-I have been doing a very good job and ensuring that I always prepare leftovers these past few weeks. My new trick is to buy bone-in chicken breasts and cut off the easy part of the breast and use it as I would a boneless piece of chicken meat. The remaining section, with the bone-in, is then boiled and seasoned to form a broth from which chicken soup can be made. Or more accurately, rice is made with the broth, vegetables, and meat.

No comments: