Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 149

-While we experienced a few centimeters of snow yesterday, today has been a pretty straight forward sub-zero day. Much of the snow that fell yesterday has been collected, meaning that if I had slept through all of yesterday I would only slightly wonder what I had missed during my exceptionally long sleep.

-For some reason, likely because I am not taking a course on science and technical information, I decided to look for math papers for a period of time this afternoon. As I don’t really know that much about math I decided to just try and find papers by people that I know.

After a few initial searches on Web of Science I switched over to MathSciNet. Though it doesn’t look like much, I was quite impressed with some of the features that are made available. Particularly impressive, and notably in contrast to Web of Science, was that different forms of authors names were kept together. Presumably this is possible as the body of literature is quite small and concentrated, unlike that covered by Web of Science. Another factor might be that this index is published by a math society rather than a commercial publisher. MathSciNet also included easy and accessible means of finding the institution attached to particular publication. Though I didn’t check it out, I presume it would also be quite easy to use this feature to locate all publications published by a particular institution. A final important component was that this specialized database seemed to include a much broader swath of math related journals (allowing me to find an article published by Neil).

-We did end up getting our promised power outage last night. Unfortunately, I didn’t stick around to find out if how cold it became or if we did lose water and promised.

In the end I ended up crashing on Sulin’s couch rather than sticking it out in the apartment. This presented me with an opportunity to have a functioning alarm clock so that I would have a much better chance of walking up in time for my 9:00 AM class.

-I was thinking about baking some bran muffins a few days ago only to realize that I don’t own a muffin tin. It seems that I may have to head over to the dollar store and pick one or two up so that I can use the bran I purchased a few days ago.

-The two pineapples I purchased a few days ago have already been consumed. Hopefully I will have a chance to pick up a few more before the sale ends on Sunday.

-On Saturday night while attending the Thompson House staff party at a bar/restaurant on Crescent Street I was surprised to see two cops, in full uniform (and presumably armed) come into the bar and have a drink (it looked like Gin and tonic but it could have been water). They sat next to each other at the bar for some time, seemingly enjoying themselves, before departing and heading back to the cold, harsh reality of Montreal streets on Saturday nights.

No comments: