Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 145

-Today, like the past few days, is a pretty beautiful Newfoundland winter day. Snow, with the assistance of wind, seems to be falling horizontally in multiple directions. According the Environment Canada this mess will become even messier in the afternoon as the freezing rain replaces the snow. I guess there is nothing quite like a good blackout to help a family bond.

-A few weeks ago, for some reason still unknown to me, I decided to read a few Douglas Coupland books. As I had never read anything by him or even really knew what to expect I decided that the best route to take would be to borrow books from the library. As I was using an academic library only hours before my flight home for the holidays I didn't have time to be picky or research my choices. In the end I decided to borrow "The Gum Thief" and "Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture."

After quickly reading "The Gum Thief" I started "Generation X," and then largely ignored during the Christmas onslaught. Though in my continued reading today I have noticed that his description/content seems not all that different than what might be written about the same age group today.

-For no particular reason I decided to bake a few loaves of bread on New Year's eve. I eventually ended up with nine regular sized loaves and three mini-loaves. Within about an hour of the commencement of the baking process the three mini-loaves had been devoured and a fair-sized dent made in one of the full sized loaves. Shortly there after one of the loaves was given to a neighbour who came to borrow a Foosball ball (and eventually ended up borrowing a book also).

Later that night I brought two loaves as a belated Christmas gift to a friend hosting a New Year's eve party (one of which was eaten as three of us spent the first hours of the new year talking). Last night a fourth loaf was given to a family by my sister. Between these giftings of loaves my family continued to chow down on the available loaves.

I guess all of this is to say that though it is less than 48 hours after I baked over eight loaves of bread we now only have one full loaf left. Maybe I will have to make another batch before I depart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The bread was very tasty, but I wondered where it had all gone.