Friday, October 02, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 363

-So far today has been pretty decent, though nothing particularly special. At times it has a been a little overcast, though at other times the sun has come out and made it look quite nice.

-Neil and I both really enjoyed last night's Ransom A Myers Science and Society lecture. Not only was the speaker, Andrew Weaver, informative, he also presented the material in an engaging way. Unfortunately, the post-lecture question and answer session was used by a few local activists to highlight upcoming events. While I don't know how everyone else feels about these incidents, but I know that I find such interjections really off-putting and they make me quite uncomfortable. That there is a risk that such 'questions' might be posed is almost enough for me to think that in most public lecture settings we should just forgo the question and answer session

-The post-lecture awkwardness reminded me of the question and answer session that followed an Oliver Sacks talk I attended in Montreal a few years ago. In this instance people seemed to want on-the-spot neurological diagnoses. These may have even been more uncomfortable for me than the event promoting that I experienced last night.

The other parallel between the two talk was that, through no fault of either presenter, I nodded briefly off during both. I am not sure what it is about large lecture theatres, but they seem to induce sleep quite effectively in males in my family.

-I think that we will be having chicken noodle soup for dinner tonight. I guess I might need to get started on this in the not too distant future.

-The other thing that I need to get started on are my readings for my upcoming week's classes.



While not great, I think comes close to representing what it is I need to read to prepare for class (though there are some other things I need to read for other assignments).

-After a rather dismal September it seems that I am now trying to up my post numbers for October (not that this really matters). I guess I think it would be nice to hit 365 by the end of December, so maybe that is why I am making a bit of an effort to post more frequently.

-There were some other things I meant to comment on, but it seems that I can't remember then at the moment.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am glad you keep posting. I like hears some news about both of you. Keep up the good work.