Saturday, October 31, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 366

-We have had some rather nice weather these past few days. It seems that it hits about 10 degrees by mid afternoon, which is just about right for walking, and then drops to near zero in the evening, which is just about right for studying, reading, and sleeping.

-It seems that I will have a few Halloween parties to attend tomorrow evening. The first I will try to visit is a poli sci grad student event at a local bar/restaurant. The idea is that they will order some appetizers and a few pitchers and then people can get other things.

The second party I plan on attending is the history grad student event. I have been invited to this event because I am taking a graduate level history course this year (and the professor hosting the party is teaching the course). Anyway, aside from the bus ride out, I am looking forward to meeting a few of the history students/types.

Oh, my plan for a costume (all creative credit must go to my friend Jess) is that I will wear a black shirt and pants and then a white collar and go as a priest. The great thing about this is if I decide the costume is too much for me to handle I can take the collar off and then just be a regular looking guy. As I am not really particularly into Halloween costumes I think that this strikes a nice balance between close to nothing and an actual costume.

-On Wednesday we had our final Ultimate game of the fall season. In contrast to past game, we really came out swinging and dominated the entire game. We ended up winning 15 to 0.

I should mention that although the score is clearly quite lopsided, the other team really didn't seem to be playing that poorly (just not scoring). Furthermore, they are one of the most fun teams to play against. There were no rule disputes or poor calls, it was really great.

After the game we invited the other team to join us for a drink at the local country bar. We chose this bar because the last time we went the place was absolutely empty and we were able to take advantage of a few of their amenities (mainly the Wii and the full-size basketball net). This time it seemed that we weren't so lucky, instead of the place being empty we walked in on a multi-week karaoke contest.

Not surprisingly, our group wasn't really into the karaoke contest. Surprisingly, the bar's workers were really quite insistent that we move some of the furniture so that everyone could see the stage. In basically every other matter the staff were great, they frequently came back to make sure we had everything we needed and at one point brought out four large baskets of party mix (a snack food).

I guess I would have to say that after a little bit of initial hesitation, I had a really good time with the other team, and just generally at this particular bar (even if it was a country bar).

-It seems that I am up for another round of lithotripsy on Tuesday. I am a little curious to see if this is actually going to happen or if they will somehow manage to screw up my booking between now and then, as they have done twice already.

-It seems that I am on a bit of a humus tear recently. For the better part of the past few weeks I have almost always had a batch of humus in the fridge that I can tap into at any time. I guess this is likely an indication of my busyness and the fact that this is a food that I can just start eating with little prep work.

-I have been rather busy with grading for the past few days. My plan is to kill off the remnants tomorrow, which should then allow me some time to prepare for my upcoming classes.

-I should probably stop wasting time and get back to at least one of the many school-related things that I really should be doing.

No comments: