Thursday, October 01, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 362

-Much to my surprise, today has been a pretty nice day, the sun is out and it is a little warmer than it has been recently. Strangely, it seems that the forecast suggested that we might be in for showers this afternoon.

-School has been keeping my quite busy these past few days and weeks. In particular the reading has really been taking up a fair bit of my time. I was thinking that I could try to take a picture of this weeks readings to try to give a sense of how much it is on a weekly basis, but I realized that as a few are in books and a little scattered I probably couldn't really accurately represent a weeks readings in picture, so you will just have to try to visualize it yourself.

Actually, soon after I finish this post I plan on collecting and printing my readings for next week. Hopefully I can get a start on things later this evening.

-Last night Neil and I had an Ultimate game. Unfortunately, it didn't go particularly well and we managed to lose by a score of 5-10. The only good thing was the team was a pretty decent team to play against, there weren't too many disputes.

-A few days ago Newfoundland held its municipal elections. For the most part the results in St. John's weren't particularly surprising. It is likely that I actually voted for several winning candidates, something that doesn't often happen.

Anyway, an interesting result did occur in Paradise, where it initially seemed that a 19 university student had unseated the current mayor, a former provincial Liberal cabinet minister. After a recount it was determined that the candidates were tied. Apparently, much to my surprise, the procedure in such an instance is for a name to be drawn from an envelope to determine the winner. The final result was that the incumbent was returned. If you are interested, CBC provides a slightly more detailed version of the story here.

-The tomatoes continue to ripen. Though I don't have an exact count at the moment, I think that there are probably close to 10 that are red, or certainly well on their way to red. I am hoping that one or two more might soon be ripe enough for Neil to eat them.



-For those of you in the Halifax area with a free evening, you might be interested in checking out the 2nd annual Ransom Myers Lecture in Sciences and Society. The lecture is to take place tonight at 7:30 P.M. in Ondaatje Hall in the McCain building. Not that should be a key motivating factor, but after last year's talk attendees were provided with wine and non-alcoholic drinks.

-The tobacco plants are continuing to grow quite nicely.



A few of the plants now have leaves that are at least a few inches across in both directions. While I am pleased with the size, I think that they are likely being limited in size because of the size of the containers in which the plants are being grown. Maybe next summer I will be able to grow a few plants in larger containers.



One of the major consequences of having such a large number of plants with relatively large amounts of foliage is that they are now impeding my ability to see through my bedroom window. I guess I really shouldn't be as surprised about this development as I am.

2 comments:

Donald said...

Will those tomatoes be juicy enough to tempt even you to take a bite?

Cameron said...

No, I was even a little grossed out by the one that Neil ate yesterday.