Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 118

-Today was a remarkably warm day.  At one point I heard that the temperature was being reported as 29, though I find that hard to believe.  Also remarkable was that the sun quickly gave way to showers which then gave way to gray skies.  I guess that having only one or two rainfalls in a month is not actually all that good. Presumably there will be more rain in the coming days
 
-With the addition of traditional spring loaded traps to the arsenal we have managed to catch our third mouse.  This mouse, caught after only one night with the new equipment, was a fair bit larger than the second mouse.  Though this may be the last mouse, we have replaced the used trap and will continue to keep monitoring the trap lines until we go some number of weeks without a confirmed sighting or other evidence of mouse related activity.
 
-After a several week absence I am back at work on a controlled vocabulary side-project that I have been working on for the past several months. The original goal was to create a vocabulary of 2000 terms, something that seemed easy at the time. It still seemed easy after an early flurry of activity. Unfortunately, after about 1300 terms it no longer seems as easy. To be fair, with a little bit of effort and organization it shouldn't be all that hard to flesh things out and add a few thousand more terms without really stretching myself too much. Adding fewer than 20 new terms a day is just laziness on my part (something which I have plenty of).

-On Wednesday I have to hand in a project, most of which was done some number of days ago. The part of the project that was holding me up was the one page write up. For hours I stared at a computer screen, edited and re-edited, and wrote and re-wrote. Finally I have something that covers most of what I want to say, but still manages to be less than perfect. I guess I am out of practice when it comes to writing papers.

-After almost a month I finally unpacked my final two boxes this evening. Sadly, the motivation was create a space for my hand-truck, which I was tired of seeing in the front entrance. At the moment, my new 10 kg bag of flour is resting on the 'bed' of truck, ready for a quick evacuation.c

4 comments:

Neil said...

Is the flour kept safely away from any mice that might be around?

Cameron said...

Not really, but I don't know where else to put it. A 10 kg bag of flour is pretty big.

Kathy said...

I'm not so sure mice like white flour. I do not think it is healthy enough.

Cameron said...

While that may be the case, it seems probable that they can't read. They will have to chew through the bag to find out that it is not actually something that they want.