Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Habs and their loss

Upon returning from the airport, where I had gone to help my father with his luggage, I went directly to a McKibbin's. As I was making my way from the bus to the bar I noticed that not only were there cops mingling with the smokers at Peel Pub, there were also cops on almost every block of St. Catherine. I guess they were expecting trouble reminiscient of 1993.

As soon as I arrived I found the group of friends I was looking for an joined them to watch the rest of the night's Habs game.

At the time of my arrival (the first intermission) I was informed that the score was 1-0 for the Habs (even if it hadn't been a pretty goal, it was still a goal). As the second period started the Bruins snuck one in to tie things up. Fortunately, shortly there after number 14, who had been assigned to our table, scored. We were then rewarded with a free round of tequilla shots.

As the game progressed through the end of the third period this became the trend. The Bruins would tie it up and then the Canadians would get a goal to up them up by one. Unfortunately, with about eight minutes left to play things started to fall apart. The Bruins then began to outscore the Habs in such a way that proved impossible to overcome. With only a few minutes left in the game the Habs managed to put one in to take them to 5-4, the game's final score.

I guess the upside is that both teams now get to experience the emotion associated with a game seven. Presumably things will be lively on Monday when the Habs try to keep their season going.

No comments: