Monday, November 02, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 367

-As far as I recall, today was a pretty nice day. As I now seem to have many fewer hours of sunlight exposure, the weather is making less and less of an impression on me (that is until it rains or is remarkably unpleasant in some other way).

-We have been having a slow internet problem for some number of weeks now. The incredible slowness of our connection was driven home today when I was at school with my computer and using a regular speed connection for the first time in weeks. Amazingly, things like my email inbox didn't take seconds to load and podcasts zipped from the internet to my hard drive. Of course the irony is that all of this happened at about the same time I received an automated call informing me that our internet service had been improved and that our connection speed had increased by 40%. (Rebecca and I are both waiting for Neil to call and either lodge a complaint or figure out what is going on, until then we will likely have to muddle through).

-I harvested some of my thyme today and have bundled it to dry. What I find amazing about this process is how little of the herb I get at the end of such a process. The last time I did this I ended up getting less than a quarter of a spice bottle of dried thyme from what seemed like a handful of sprigs. Given our slow rate of production I guess it is a good thing that I am not prone to using very much thyme in my cooking.

-On Friday I attended a seminar in the political science department. Amazingly, even after several emails from faculty and staff, I was the only student in attendance. Actually, when things started I was about 20% of the audience (and I knew three of other four audience members). I was a little surprised that so few of my fellow students attended.

-A few of my tobacco plants are now close to two feet tall. The other development is that the rate at which I am harvesting leaves is also increasing. I am starting to have a little (and I should make very clear that I really mean little) supply/stash of dried leaves. As of yet I have no idea what I might do with these leaves as I don't smoke and I am not sure that anyone that I do know that smokes would possibly want them. I guess I will just go on collecting them for now and figure something out later.



-A few days ago I made what was to be my last tomato harvest of the season.



Shortly after harvesting these tomatoes I ploughed in my plants, or, more accurately, I ditched the root heavy soil and plants. I now have a rather large collection of empty pots and garden things that I need to clean and then bring in for the winter.



Hopefully I will get a chance to do some of this cleaning either on Wednesday or Thursday, though Friday is another possibility.

-My Halloween evening didn't go exactly as planned.

Firstly, as Peter, Neil, and I were walking over to the local shopping complex to pick up some beer and last minute supplies we noticed a number of police cars with flashing lights. As we approached the scene we could see that they were talking to someone, but we couldn't really figure out what necessitated 5 police vehicles. When we entered the liquor store the security guard wasn't able to provide us with any further information.

Eventually, Peter and I made it to the political science event, which was much better attended than I expected. I think that there were about 8 people (including us) for a while, then another two arrived. Eventually, another guy and his wife (and her brothers) showed up (though they may have arrived independent of our event). All things considered I think it was a success. There has been some discussion of further events in the near future.

We ended up not making the history party because of the relatively poor bus service to the part of town where the party was being held. We basically would have had an hour from the time the bus dropped us off to the time we had to catch the last bus back to town. That this would have left us with at most 30 minutes at the party we decided that the couldn't be reasonably justified. In the end we came back and played two games of Settlers (in the second game we used the new anti-robber rule that Neil and I have been working on).

-I am due up for another round of lithotripsy tomorrow. The good news is that I appear to actually have an appointment this time, unlike the last two times I was scheduled to go in. The downside is that this will probably hamper my work schedule a little, though I guess it is worth it if it means that I don't have to pass a full-fledged kidney stone.

-Oh man have I ever been on a bit of a tofu tear these past few days. I think that in the past four days I have purchased about 5 pounds of the stuff. Originally I had been buying the high end organic stuff for $2.39 a pound, but today I discovered the bargain basement stuff that goes for 99 cents a pound (a pound of which I bought). Anyway, whether I am buying the classy organic stuff or the discount swill, I don't see how my pocketbook and general health won't be the overall winners.

-I hate it when I am tired but then can't get to sleep for hours. The worst part is that as the time passes I get more nervous about the amount of sleep that I am not getting, making it even less likely that I will be able to get to sleep anytime soon. I really wish I understood why this happens to me occasionally as it doesn't seem to correspond to how tired I feel (though it must).

No comments: