Friday, January 09, 2015

A Few Quick Notes 617

-After several weeks of unRegina like Winter weather, we've finally moved on to the type of Regina winter weather I've come to know and love - it's about -20 and sunny.  As far as I'm concerned this is almost perfect Winter weather.  It just doesn't get better than this.

-While doing some supplementary shovelling today (I did the driveway, paths, and sidewalk immediately after the snowfall) I had the pleasure of taking in some of this wonderful Winter weather first hand.  Of course, to prepare for the low temperatures I put on my coat, mitts, scarf, face mask, and hat.  I was amazed to find that when I came in about 30 minutes later I was really sweating (and at no point did I feel cold).

-A few months ago This American Life began a new spin-off show - Serial.  Almost immediately Jeannette and I became rabid listeners.  During the run of the show we more or less restricted ourselves to the weekly podcast and the various discussions we would have with each other after each new episode was released.

Now that the podcast's first season has ended but various related stories have been independent news outlets we've gotten sucked into the Serial Reddit vortex.  We can seem to spend an entire evening just reading Reddit comments about alternate theories of a 1999 Baltimore murder case.  When not reading these comments I am compulsively contemplating my own (or Jeannette's particularly good) theory/ies of the case.

How is it possible that I am spending more time thinking about a 12 episode podcast now that it has ended than I did while it aired?  How can I be waiting for new articles from The Intercept, articles that I know will just upset me, with a greater sense of anticipation than I had for new episodes? (I've probably checked for the concluding segment of the Kevin Urick interview 20 times today.)

-At some point soon I may have to start thinking about what to make for dinner tonight.  On the other hand, because of our ongoing illnesses it seems likely that neither of us may be as inclined to eat in a timely fashion as we normally might be.

No comments: