Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Halifax Update

So I have been in Halifax since Saturday evening. So far things have been going relatively well. The main reason for the trip was to see Neil's convocation ceremony, an event which took place on Sunday afternoon.

Since this event things have generally been pretty relaxed. One of the more explicitly exciting events to occur was that Neil and I ended up attending a reading by Brian Mulroney at the Lord Nelson Hotel last night. This ended up happening only because we happened to walk by the book store hosting the event and see that they still had a few tickets left. The general assessment of the event was that it was much more enjoyable than either of us expected.

While I have been here I have also been able to walk around Dalhousie a little. One of the places I wanted to see was the library school, now called the School of Information Management. Once Rebecca and I found the place we were surprised to see how small it was. Also, it wasn't a very welcoming location as one had to walk through the office to access the classrooms. Not surprisingly we did not take this next step and just admired the facilities from the atrium.

Afterwards I decided to check out the library, or at least the main library. All in all I was pretty pleased, though there were a few places in the microfilm section that were on the tight side. Actually, they were so tight that a person in a wheelchair certainly couldn't access them, and I wouldn't be surprised if a few larger individuals also couldn't access them. Another element that I found a bit strange was that the Z section of the reference section seemed a bit small. Maybe they placed many of the library related materials in the stacks instead of in the reference section.

Generally Dal seems to have fewer hipsters, something that is quite nice. It seems that McGill is infested, something that I occasionally find it hard to deal with. Dal also has a nicer campus feel, even though McGill does have a pretty clearly defined campus. It also seems that the buildings are also nicer on the inside, a problem that I have frequently noticed at McGill.

Anyway, I guess I should get back to my trip.

No comments: