Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 242

-Today, though cool, was quite nice. Actually, as far as Fall days ago it was about as nice as one might hope for.

-Several weeks ago Neil requested tickets to attend a taping of This Hour Has 22 Minutes, a news satire show that is filmed in Halifax. Not too long after the request was placed we were notified that we had tickets for the November 3 taping of the show.

Soon after hearing about the tickets I managed to forget about them. At some point this weekend it dawned on me that would be be going on Monday and that I had best mentally prepare myself.

Anyway, tonight was the night, and, all things considered, I think it went pretty well. Actually, it was a much more pleasant experience than the taping of Letterman that I attended a few years ago. The topical news satire as well as the pre-recorded sketches were both funny. As one might expect, this weeks show was somewhat heavy on US election content. Surprisingly, some of this content wasn't as funny as I might have expected, especially considering there are so many possibilities for humour.

As usual, the view of the performance is somewhat impeded by the cameras and various pieces of equipment needed to tape the show. Also, the crowd is relatively far away from the performers so that this equipment can be used to its fullest effect. This was only a real problem at the end of the show when they were filming a sketch and I was basically unable to see two of the three performers.

-Several days ago I discovered a bottle of port that Neil and Rebecca had been hiding in the booze cupboard. While the port is of the cheap variety I have been quite impressed with the flavour and overall port-consumption experience.


-After several days of threats and ineffective planning, I eventually got around to shaving my beard. I was motivated by a desire not look like too much of a slob, though I am sure that such motivation won't be long lasting and that before long I will have a beard of some sort again.




Fortunately, I wasn't too hasty with the clippers and I was able to save a 'stache from the mess that was my beard. While the 'stache is in fine shape at the moment, it isn't like to last all that long. Who knows, it may even be gone by the time I head to class tomorrow (though that would require more motivation that I think I might have).

-Tuesday is election day in the US. I was able to cast my absentee ballot a few weeks ago. Hopefully it made it safely, but as I didn't send it registered mail I really have no idea if this is the case.

3 comments:

Thomas said...

"Oliba" is back ;)

Thomas said...

um, I mean oliba(ma)...

Cameron said...

Actually it is already gone, though if I had seen your most recent comment yesterday morning I might have been inclined to keep it for a few more days.