Sunday, June 26, 2011

Another new tie or Congressional paraphernalia

A few weeks ago Jeannette had the good fortune to be able to quickly visit Annapolis Royal on her way back from a conference. Since then she has been keen on returning and engaging in a more in-depth exploration of some of the sights in the region.

Yesterday, though it was a little overcast and at times rainy, happened to be the day when we finally got around to making a return trip to Annapolis Royal (and it also happened on one of the days of the Gathering of the Clans event - though we couldn't actually find much evidence of this event).

After a very pleasant stroll through downtown Annapolis Royal and through the grounds of Fort Anne and a quick stop at a local bakery for lunch we started to make our way back to Wolfville.

Instead of taking the highway back we decided to take the slow road that would take us through a number of communities in the region.

One of the communities we ended up driving through was Coldbrook, a community that just happened to have another Guy's Frenchy's. While Jeannette looked at lady clothes I decided to check out the tie selection (among other things). Almost immediately I found a tie that I found intriguing.


Almost immediately Americanness of this tie was apparent. When I flipped the tie over and looked at the keeper that it was American in origin became even more apparent.


Of course after seeing that this tie was "Made exclusively for US Congress" I couldn't not spend the $1.95 to buy it.

Shortly after I returned home I tried to figure out if this tie was made specifically for members of Congress or if it had some other role. Unfortunately, the few searches that I did conduct on ties and neckties turned up nothing. At least I haven't confirmed that this tie was nothing more than an item made just to be sold in a Congressional gift shop - it might still have been created for use exclusively by Congressmen (and that is my hope).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tie looks like a slightly older version of that which is worn by male Congressional Pages.

Donald McKay said...

If a page tie, even more appropriate!

Cameron said...

And plausible.

And again, though I am sure they are out there I haven't yet been able to find a clear photo of the old version of the uniform.