Sunday, June 19, 2011

Exciting Day

Yesterday, given that I am now post-comps (at least the most recent phase) and post-surgery, Jeannette and I decided to do some touring in the Annapolis Valley. While we had been planning on doing this for some time we ended up putting it off because of my two aforementioned commitments (and because of the relatively bad weather we have been experiencing here).

Our first stop yesterday morning was the recently opened Wolfville Farmers' Market. Unfortunately, the bad weather that seems to have been limiting our touring seems also to be limiting plant growth and development so there seems to be less local produce available than I might have expected. Of course, that is not to say that there aren't a number of other local producers at the farmers' market whose ability to sell hasn't been so negatively impacted by the bad weather. In particular the local meat producers and wineries were there in full force. Eventually I would like to get around to more extensive sampling of the wares of both of these types of vendors.

After a quick stop at the local public library for Jeannette to pick up a book we continued on our trip.

Our next stop was the Oaklawn Farm Zoo. We scheduled our visit so early in the day with hopes of avoiding rain that was forecast to arrive by the afternoon.

As expected, we had a great time at the zoo.

Almost as soon as we entered we were greeted by a rather impressive display of intimacy. And who knew tortoises had even the slightest ability to climb?


Though, at least yesterday, the other animals weren't as keen on exhibitionism as the tortoises pictured above they were ,nonetheless, fun to watch. In particular, a family of gibbons with a new addition were particularly amusing.

If you want to to see some of the animals we had the pleasure of observing, with a particular emphasis on the gibbons, check out the video I have included below.



[Embedded video]

When the rain eventually did start to fall Jeannette and I left the zoo (as was our plan) and started to make our way towards Berwick, which is where we decided to have lunch.

After a very pleasant lunch in Berwick, which included the best fish and chips I have had in Nova Scotia, we decided to make our way through some of downtown Berwick. This was my first visit to Berwick and I was quite impressed with the place.

While in Berwick we also visited a Guy's Frenchys, a used clothing chain that I have heard is legendary in the Annapolis Valley. Because my confidence has been buoyed by my recent decision to read and follow the pro-thrifting men's fashion blog Put This On I decided to scope out the menswear section for some hot finds. After a few minutes I found a silk tie that I decided to pick up. Jeannette found a jacket and a book that she wanted. We ended up spending less than $10 for the three items.

After our success at the Guy's Frenchys in Berwick we decided to head in to New Minas and visit the Frenchys there (I still can't figure out exactly what the name 'Frenchys' means or how the various stores are connected to one another). At this second store I became even more ambitious (though this was at least partly due to availability) and I picked up three more (silk) ties and two (wool) suits. Jeannette also picked up a nice dress on the cheap. I should note that all of our acquisitions at these stores were shockingly cheap.

After some shopping in New Minas (and at attempt to find an open dry cleaner) we eventually made our home where I immediately tried on a few of my new acquisitions.


While the photological conditions (and my sense of what matches) were less than ideal, I hope that the above photo does my new acquisitions (at least those pictured) justice.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable and action packed day. Hopefully it won't take us another month and a half before we head out to see more of what the Annapolis Valley has to offer.

No comments: