Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Few Quick Notes 542

-Though it is still before noon I get the sense that in the hours since I awoke the sky has darkened significantly and the temperature dropped a few degrees. How is it still so cold in late June that I am regularly required to wear a sweater and a jacket? Isn't Wolfville supposed to be warmer than this?

-Though I seem to have forgotten to eat breakfast this morning I had a rather enjoyable lunch of left over beef stew and salad.

-This morning, because I still had a partially used can of pumpkin, I decided to try to find a recipe for a yeast-based pumpkin bread that I could make quickly. After a quick search I found this recipe. Of course, I modified this recipe slightly by omitting the caraway seeds and salt.

Though I haven't tried the resulting loaf of bread yet I can say that it looks pretty good, though I think that if I make it again I would be inclined to drastically reduce the baking time and/or temperature as it really didn't need 35 minutes at 400.

Oh, I should also note one nice aspect of this recipe is that it is simple and fast. It really only took a few minutes to prepare the dough before I let it rise. And as recipe complexity and preparation time seem to be the chief complaints about baking bread at home I thought that these features were worth noting.

-I guess I should get back to work.

No comments: