Friday, April 19, 2013

Another batch

In early November, on the day that Jeannette was to head back to Ottawa, I started my first batch of home brew beer.  My plan, in addition to creating cheap beer, was to have a project I could work on while Jeannette was away.

At least to some extent I failed on both fronts.  Firstly, the home-brewing process turned out to be surprisingly labour free.  Aside from a little mixing, and then some bottling, there was practically nothing to do but wait.  And secondly, the beer wasn't all that great.  I find that it tends to give me pretty bad hangovers and it doesn't taste particularly good (though I can get it down without too much effort).

Now that it's been about five and a half months since that first batch and I've had time to consume most of the beer (there are only four bottles left) and think about my technique I recently decided to give home-brewing another shot.

A few days ago I picked up a new kit (the flavour was 'cerveza') and threw everything in the bucket as directed.  Of course, almost as soon as I started I had the sense that the yeast wasn't working quite as expected.  Actually, it didn't seem to be working at all.

By the time I finally came to the conclusion that the yeast I had obtained with the kind was useless it was late on Sunday night and I thought that my only option would be to buy an additional kit at a grocery store and use that yeast (and I will buy a single pack of yeast to use with the leftover parts of this kit).  So after a four grocery store hunt that's what I did.



[Embedded video]

So now that I'm a few days in the process of beer making is decidedly underway.

Because I bought what I hope is a higher quality kit and because I'm using the right kind of sugar this time I'm hoping that the product I end up with in a few weeks is a fair bit better than the first time around.  Otherwise I'll probably end up taking another 5 and a half months to make my way through this 23 litres of beer.


No comments: