Monday, July 19, 2010

First real harvest

Until today, aside from a few peas and some herbs, I hadn't really harvested much from my balcony garden. This failure to harvest didn't mean that plants weren't growing or producing lush foliage, but just that they weren't doing much more than that. Actually, many of the plants, particularly the tomato plants, are quite large and have been continuing to grow at somewhat astonishing rates. When the point of the whole operation is largely the creation of edible content this over-abundance of inedible content is a little less than completely satisfying.

Fortunately, all hope has not been lost. One of the brightest signs of potential have been a few of my Purple Queen bean plants, which for the past few days have been growing nice purple beans (I expect them to turn green when cooked). A handful of the beans finally grew large enough that I was able to harvest a handful of them today.



I am hoping that I may be able to prepare these (supplemented with a few purchased vegetables) for dinner tonight.

Hopefully at least a few of the scarlet runner bean and tomato flowers will also result in consumable fruits.

1 comment:

jlye said...

In 5 years we might have some coffee beans, too :o)