Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 94

-Today is another overcast day in St. John’s, though I feel as though I can at least sense the existence of the sun of the hills. Maybe things will clear later this afternoon, as has happened a few times this week. This lack of sun is starting to bother me. On top of all of this, the temperature and wind have ensured that going outside will be a less than pleasant experience.

-This morning I was able to purchase some very fresh bagels from Georgetown Bakery. They were actually so fresh that they were not available when I placed my original order, and only when I was getting ready to pay were they made available for sale. While running several errands I managed to eat about 4 them. I think I have now consumed about six of them, and am thinking about having another.

-Last night I finally saw The Kremlin, on the eve of Marx’s birthday. For several years I have heard about this group and their entertaining stage shows. As they don’t seem to perform as a group as regular these days (I have heard that one of the members no longer lives here) I thought that I would take advantage of last night’s show. Unfortunately, I did not realize that their performance would be preceded by the performance of two other acts, the first of which did not start until after 12:15 (even though the start time was advertised as 11:00 PM). I guess I should make it clear that my problem was not with the other groups, but that I was not expecting them and the delay that their presence meant for the headlining act. Eventually The Kremlin did take the stage, though without the borscht or dancers that I had been expecting. I did not even see Prince Igor’s chains. On the other hand, I can see why they are a popular and entertaining group with a strong following.

It seems I am getting too old for these late nights. I want my shows to start before mid-night so that I can be at home and in bed by the respectable hour of 3:00 AM. Unfortunately, St. John’s seems to be going in the opposite direction, I am sure that shows are now starting later than ever. Someone should take it to the extreme, start a show so late that it is 9:00 or 10 :00 PM the next day.

-Still nothing on my ILL request. I wonder if they will be able to find the book. I am thinking that I might want to also request another book, if that is allowed. Hopefully this other book will be a little easier to locate, especially since it was published and released in North America, unlike my first request.

-I am thinking about going to Petty Harbour today. Though I must have been there at some point in my life, I can’t quite figure out when or why. It seems that this is a place I should have visited and know. Hopefully my trip will go well and I will learn about another part of Newfoundland. Maybe I will try to visit a few other communities in the next few days and get out of my townie bubble. Unfortunately, I don’t think that I will have time to make it off of the Avalon, something that I really should do at some point soon.

No comments: