Saturday, March 15, 2008

A Few Quick Notes 162

-For the past day or two we have had pretty mild weather. It seems that the temperature has been about zero, or just above, with overcast skies, and little wind. The downside is that for the past few days we haven't really had that much direct sun. It seems that this might be affecting my wheat crop, but that could be something else.

-It seems that my Roll Up the Rim record is 8/34. Actually, as I was writing this post I finished a cup of coffee, rolled up the rim, and found that I had won another coffee, making 7 of my 8 wins free coffees.

-Last night we had a St. Patrick's day party at Thomson House. Not surprisingly, this meant plenty of Bailey's, Irish Whiskey, and, most importantly, Guinness. In many cases, all three were served together in the form of the Irish Car Bomb, a particularly unpleasant drink to clean up because of the presence of curdled milk products.

Anyway, after an early busy start, things calmed down a little, leading me to believe that we were in for a quite evening. Shortly after this deceptive lull, lines began to form and tables filled up. It was quite clear that we were in for a full evening, with keg changes a plenty.

The band playing in the ballroom, Squidjigger, seemed to be well received by the guests. I must say that I found the name a little off putting as I didn't quite get the connection between 'Irish' music and squidjiggers, but maybe that doesn't matter.

In total my fellow door person and I changed about ten kegs, did plenty of dishes, set up chairs, and generally worked our asses off. It was really an unrelenting night. Fortunately tips were good and people seemed to be enjoying themselves.

-In about an hour I have to head back to work for some kind of function. Hopefully it won't be quite as late a night as some of these dinner events can be.

-On Friday I learned that if I don't get my paper that the Globe will have it redelivered within 60 to 90 minutes. This is good to know as it seems that the number of times that I haven't been getting my paper has been increasing. This is particularly good to know in relation to Saturday papers as it is a bit of a frustrating financial hit to pay for the subscription and then have to buy a replacement.

No comments: