Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Big changes



About 10 days ago I moved to Ottawa, joining Jeannette about two months into her residency here.  The day after I arrived we moved into our new apartment.  One of the great things about our apartment is that we are only a short walk away from Parliament.

While it was definitely a bit of a bummer to leave Wolfville, I have been enjoying my time in Ottawa.  In addition to getting a rush each time I catch a glimpse of the peace tower flag there are a number of other cool things here that are pretty neat (though we haven't found the time to do too many of them yet).

Instead of focusing touristy stuff I've been trying to get a sense of the neighbourhood (and the fact that the weather's been horrible hasn't made the idea of touring very appealing).  Today while I was walking to a prospective laundry site I noticed several piles of move-out related garbage.


One caught my eye as it seemed to have an Ikea table similar to tables I've had in Montreal and Wolfville.  Upon closer inspection I learned that not only was the table similar to the tables I've had, but that there was also an unopened Ikea table in the pile.  Apparently the former owner bought the table and didn't even ever get around to taking the five minutes required to assemble it.  Wow.

Had I not been on my way somewhere I should have made sure that this unopened table was pulled out and visible so that someone could pick it up.  It seems an awful was to buy a table and then throw it away without ever even so much as opening it.


No comments: