Monday, May 21, 2012

A Few Quick Notes 577

-I'm starting to become a little a little worried that Ottawa is going to be pretty hot this summer. Yesterday it was 32 in the afternoon, and we're still only in May.  I am starting to worry what June, July, and August are going to look like.

-Though I'm not entirely sure that this makes sense, I think my computer was responding negatively to the high temperatures.  Just as the day reached its hottest point my computer stopped responding to left mouse clicks.  Now that it's cooler everything seems to be back to normal.  It will be a real bummer if I can't left click during the mid-day all summer long.

-This weekend I engaged in some serious re-potting and seed planting.  While we don't yet have much to show for my efforts plant-wise, we are starting to make a good dent in the space available for such pots.  I am also starting to get the sense that the potting soil we purchased may have had all kinds of tomato seeds in it as we are getting what appear to be small tomato plants in quite a number of the pots.  I guess I'll keep an eye on these over the coming days.

-I kind of want to go on a walk just to get some exercise and to leave the apartment for a little while.  Of course because I didn't do this in the morning I will now have to wait another five hours or so if I want to do this without being assaulted by full intensity of the mid-day sun.

-Maybe I can adopt some kind of reverse sleep schedule that would see me sleeping from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM so that I could avoid the hottest part of the day?  Unfortunately, this probably isn't too likely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The keyboard on my laptop died in the peak of Montreal summer heat two years ago.

- Colin

Donald McKay said...

You may remember the story from the 1980's of the long-serving USSR ambassador to Canada. When asked by a CBC reporter about his most difficult task a the USSR Ambassador to Canada, he replied: "Explaining to the Kremlin why the Embassy needed both a furnace and an air conditioner."