Sunday, December 02, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 136

-As of yet we still have not received the snow storm that we have been promised for today. It seems that the promised temperatures did come through, meaning that it has been on the cool side all day.

-In an unnecessary attempt to beat the snowstorm, I made a mid-morning trip to a local shopping center to make a few purchases. In particular I hoped to buy batteries, an alarm clock, and a rubber pad for winter footwear. Fortunately I was able to find all of these items in one store and return home only about an hour after I departed.

With the 12 pack of AA batteries I received a small voice recorder that can double as a Christmas ornament. If Nithum and I chose to use the item in this way it will be our first, and likely only, Christmas ornament of the season.

The rubber pad that I purchased was originally intended for use in a car or van. The reason I purchased it was that it was the same price and about twice the size of other products that I saw that would accomplish the same end. Hopefully that I did not purchase a pad specifically designed for footwear won’t upset Nithum.

The alarm clock was the most time consuming of my purchases. I almost got suckered into buying a $40 clock that had projection and wire thermometer capabilities. Fortunately common sense prevailed and I made a more reasonably priced purchase. Unfortunately, I had a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to set the clock once I returned home. It seemed to be displaying a time but was not allowing me to change the time, only the day, month, and year. Anyway, after about 15 minutes I finally read the box and learned that I had purchased a self-setting clock (even though they include a heading in the instructions about how to set the time without actually telling you how). So far it seems to work, though I am worried about using it in Newfoundland as I don’t think that it has an appropriate time zone option.

-For dinner tonight I prepared a pot roast. As I am only one person I thought that 7 potatoes and 4 carrots would do. As it turned out, I only managed to eat three of the potatoes and will be able to have the rest of leftovers at some point this week. Combined with my previously existing leftovers, it looks as though I may not have to do all that much cooking for the next couple of days.

No comments: