Monday, December 24, 2007

A Few Quick Notes 143

-Today has been a pretty traditional St. John's Christmas eve, cool, but not cold, and wet. As of late, the rain has been on the heavy side, something that doesn't mix particularly well with 18 inches of snow. If the rain keeps up there won't be enough snow for Santa to land on every one's roofs.

-Due to an unforeseen medical emergency the Christmas cooking and baking schedule has been a little modified for this year. Most notably, my cooking related duties have risen dramatically.

I rose to the occasion and prepared our traditional Christmas bread, with only a few minor hitches. Fortunately, in the end, everything seemed to work out in the end, and the nine loaves should be largely edible.

Tonight, I lead the way on the preparation of our Christmas Eve fondue meal. As this meal is cooked at the table the prep time wasn't too bad. The only hitch with this meal was that we forgot to buy bread yesterday meaning that I had to make a quick batch before dinner.

Tomorrow night, instead of the more traditional turkey, it seems that we will be having roast beef. Hopefully this won't be too complicated. I also presume that it will be a team effort.

On the 28th we will finally have our more traditional Christmas dinner with turkey and the rest of associated dishes. This is likely to also be the day on which we conduct our gift exchange, a slight detour from our typical practice.

-Neil and I attended a Christmas party last night. Not only was it great to see a few people that I haven't seen in years, there was some pretty awesome dancing. In particular, the break dancing (including the freezer door move) was pretty good.

-Though we are not doing our gift exchange until the 28th my father, uncle, and I did manage to head out this afternoon to hit the end of the Christmas rush. In all we must have visited about four or five stores between about 3:30 and 5:00. Surprisingly, the trip wasn't all that bad as it seems that most people had already finished their shopping or accepted defeat.

-Somehow I will have to managed to acquire a gift for my father between now and the 28th, though what I had hoped to purchase for him should have been ordered days ago. I am sure that things will work out in the end.

No comments: