Monday, July 21, 2008

What a waste

So after a very pleasant evening with a few friends I decided to pick up a six-pack on my way home. My plan was to have a pleasant bear or two while sending an email or two, or maybe browsing the internet.

After braving the rain and the slick roads I made it back to the house-sitting house with my six-pack of Dominion in hand. As soon as I entered the house I began thinking about how I would drop off my coat and the beer so that I could let the dog out to urinate. Soon after entering the kitchen I began to execute the plan I had only moments ago formulated.

The jacket went on the counter, as did the beer. Unfortunately the beer did stay on the counter like the jacket, instead the beer and the box ended up on the ground. Almost as soon as the beer hit the floor glass and beer began seeping across the floor. Somehow the animals sense the severity of the situation and stayed out of my way as I made my way to the back hall to find the cleaning products.

Fortunately, because of several other mishaps, I was able to put my hands on the cleaning products and mop quite quickly. I was also able to locate a bucket, though I don't imagine that it is the same one that they use for mopping, and get the clean-up operation underway quite quickly.

Once I removed the four intact bottles from the wreckage I was able to pick up much of the broken glass just by discarding the beer box. The remaining large chunks I was able to pick up and place in another box. The final pieces of glass, mostly of the splinter size, I was able to wipe up with toilet paper (I still haven't been able to find the paper towel).

Soon after I had cleaned up the glass shards I decided that I might as well just mop the rest of the kitchen floor, which I did. I also took the opportunity to do some mopping in the adjoining rooms, which I had been meaning to do but had not had the motivation.

Anyway, as must as this was a waste of beer and a pain, it turned out to be manageable and not quite as bad as it could have been. Most importantly the cat and dog somehow sense that I really would not appreciate their presence in the mess area and then proceeded to stay away for the duration of the clean-up.

No comments: