Friday, November 13, 2009

Not a good semester for clothing

Just a few minutes ago I was putting on one of my cardigans when one of my fingers got stuck. Upon closer inspection I learned that what happened was that my finger slipped through a recently developed hole at the elbow on the left arm of the sweater. Though it hasn't developed a hole yet, I can now see that the right elbow is also starting to give way. I wonder if it is possible to patch such a hole?



This development is of course after a few similar clothing tragedies that have already occurred this semester.

The first problem occurred when I attempted to wash my wool sweater vest. Even though I used only cold water and air dried it, the vest managed to shrink. Now it is definitely tighter in the chest and doesn't quite come down to my waist. A definite bummer as it was otherwise a pretty nice sweater vest, and the only one that I owned.

More recently I was hanging up my 10+ year old Hawaiian shirt when I noticed that the shirt had worn out in the back. I guess this isn't surprising as I have been wearing this shirt pretty regularly for over ten years (I purchased it at a going out of business sale when I was in high school). Though I should have expected such a development it is still disappointing.

The problem is that if I keep going at this rate I won't have any clothing by the time spring rolls around. I guess when one does their best to avoid buying new clothing this is the type of problem they are eventually likely to encounter.

3 comments:

Donald McKay said...

'Tis good that you made it through library school before the cardigan failed.

Cameron said...

Yes, but still disappointing.

Kyla said...

The cardigan can probably be repaired, though it's hard to tell with your finger in there. If you can find the loose thread and see little loops on the top and bottom of the hole, you can secure the broken thread and take a new thread (ideally of a similar colour and size as the rest of the sweater) and graft the hole shut - see the Tears and Holes Weaving method here.