Friday, November 20, 2009

Montifax goes legit

Some of you may have been wondering about the credibility of some of the content found on Montifax. Turns out there is no need to worry, we provide content that is of a high enough quality that it can be cited in an academic publication.

I guess I should explain how I know that this is the case.

Earlier tonight while I was waiting for various SSHRC application/from pages to load I started strolling around the internet. In particular I was curious to see who was linking to Montifax these days (if you are curious, it is a rather short list of sites). I

Interestingly, one of the results that was returned was both new and a little different than some of the others. By following the link I was taken to an article in the Journal of English Linguistics by Sandra Clarke and Philip Hiscock. The article, entitled "Authenticity in an Online Newfoundland Rap GroupHip-hop in a Post-insular Community: Hybridity, Local Language, and Authenticity in an Online Newfoundland Rap Group," examines the content and context of the Gazeebow Unit phenomenon.

By taking a quick look at the article I was able to see that they had included a quote of mine from A Few Quick Notes 38. In the chosen quote I suggest not only that I have recently been "thinking about my favourite Newfoundland hip-hop/rap group, Gazeebow Unit" but also that "For those of you who have not heard Gazeebow Unit you are in for a surprise/treat. The skeet lifestyle has never before received such an eloquent treatment."

Anyway, in a strange way this seems to at least partly justify the time I have spent on Montifax over the past few years (though this was a comment that I wrote in the early months of the blog).

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I can not understand the title, let alone the article. Good thing I am not in the arts.