Tuesday, January 05, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 384

-Today was another grey and overcast day, though without enough precipitation to make it memorable. Now that this type of weather has been going on for about the last month in the places I have been (St. John's and Halifax) I am really ready for at least a few hours of clear skies when the sun is up, or even more decisive snowfalls (that remain snow and don't transition into slush).

-Yesterday I went to the grocery store to look for a few products, tofu being one of them. Tofu, at least the brand and firmness I was looking for, was unavailable. Today I went back and decided to see if any had arrived. Much to my surprise, it had. When I picked my package up there were only three in the display case. Assuming that this product doesn't arrive in packages of three (it is typically stocked to about 8 packages), this means that some number of packages were sold (or picked up and moved) before I arrived. This suggests to me that this product seems to sell quite well (though not as well as the firmer variety that is even harder to find). I find it frustrating that they haven't taken the hint that they have a popular product on hand and started stocking/ordering more.

-For dinner tonight we had a rather tasty beef stir-fry. I was somewhat impressed that the bok choy that I purchased before we left for Christmas was still in a condition that allowed to be included in tonight's dish.

-Today when I walked into Dalhousie's Life Sciences Centre atrium/common area I felt as though I walked into an area that had suffered from the explosion of some kind of paint bomb. All of the previously unpainted cement walls had been painted with a range of colours including light greens, oranges, and off-whites. Not only are the colour selections somewhat vomit-inducing, they also seem to have the effect of making the light look more artificial and clinical. I wonder when people are going to realize that painting cement is really quite a commitment (it is really difficult to undo the process) and that such decisions shouldn't be taken lightly or without proper consideration of colour combinations that might clash.

2 comments:

Donald McKay said...

May I read into your blog comments that you would not favour a fresh coat of white paint on Der Fuhrer bunker on Queen's Road?

Cameron said...

Correct.