Friday, January 15, 2010

It only took six months

Maybe about a year ago I noticed that my passport was nearing its expiration date. I guess at that time I took notice of this fact and decided to deal with it at a time closer to the expiration of the passport. Some time this summer, at about the time the passport was expiring, I got around to picking up a passport renewal application.

Much to my surprise the renewal application was only two pages long and didn't really require that much information (as they already have my proof of citizenship on file). Anyway, even though this would only have taken about 10 minutes to complete I dilly-dallied for some number of months, my primary excuse being that I didn't know where I could get passport photos taken in Halifax (though my father did suggest one location, and I am sure that the internet could have provided me with the names and locations of others). Anyway, that I didn't have passport photos provided me with an excuse to do nothing on this front for months and months on end.

Eventually I settled on a plan that would involve me getting passport photos taken while I was in St. John's for Christmas and then submitting the application once I returned to Halifax. Much to my surprise, the photo component of the plan actually happened. I made it all the way to Stavanger Drive and had the photos taken. Then (though this actually happened before the photos), much to my surprise, I received a further inducement, the equivalent of the application fee from Neil and Rebecca as a Christmas present. I think that is this final element was what really convinced to put in the 20 minutes that was required and take care of this matter (though of course not without some final procrastinating).

Instead of completing the application as soon as we returned to Halifax I let it sit for a few days (maybe imagining that it would just go away if I left it untouched long enough). Then, for some reason that I still don't really understand, the day before yesterday I dug up the application I picked up months ago and filled it out (in about 10 minutes). Then, I located my expired passport and the passport photos.

Once I had all of the paper work in order I thought that the best way to proceed would be to send my application to the national processing office. Why I thought this I have no idea. This was a particularly strange thought as I know that the local passport office is only a few blocks from our apartment. Once I realized that I would have to pay more than the standard postage to submit my application I decided that I would just walk my application down to the appropriate office and submit it by hand (which is a better idea as it would allow me to deal with any problems in-person rather than by phone or email).

When I finally arrived at the office this afternoon I was quite surprised to see how many people were already there. I am not sure if this is a particularly popular time of year, or if it is just that passports are in this season, but whatever the reason the place was really hopping. Fortunately, at least for me, they had a pretty efficient line system which meant that as a renewal I didn't have to wait very long. Then, in a way that made it perfectly clear that I had been acting irrationally throughout this entire process, I was served by a very pleasant and helpful clerk who processed my application quickly.

I was back on the street and on my way home before I knew it, and with nothing to complain about.

I wish that I could say that this experience will encourage me to deal with such administrative matters more promptly in the future, but, sadly, I think I know myself well enough to know that the real lesson I will draw from this is that one can really leave things until the last minute and the rush through the process with few negative consequences.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Brim over I to but I about the post should have more info then it has.