Sunday, January 03, 2010

Sunday night feed

Maybe a week or so ago, while I was still in St. John's, I suggested that my friend Peter come over for dinner tonight (which was to coincide with his late-afternoon return to Halifax). Perhaps not surprisingly, yesterday's winter storm seems to have caused a number of flights to be delayed or cancelled. Unfortunately for Peter his flight was one of those that was negatively effected. For a while it looked as though a simple delay in the time dinner was served would allow Peter to participate. As the afternoon progressed it became clear that even a late dinner wasn't likely going to be enough.

The upside of expecting to have a dinner guest was that it motivated me to cook a slightly more substantive meal than I might otherwise have been inclined to prepare, though my more limited academic obligations may have inclined me towards such a meal even without a guest.

Because of a great beef sale we decided to go with roast beef. To accompany the beef I prepared mashed potatoes, green beans, corn, cauliflower, and gravy. As regular readers will know, this isn't a particularly elaborate meal as far as this apartment is concerned (it is actually pretty standard). What made the meal slightly more elaborate was that I included a desert: sticky toffee sponge pudding.

Neil and I over consumed a number of components of the first course and have thus decided to hold-off on the desert component of the meal for a while (maybe a few hours).

Hopefully I will get a chance to offer Peter a make-up dinner in the not to distant future.

No comments: