Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 386

-We did get some snow today, though not more than a few centimeters. It was enough to make things feel wintery, but not enough to really impede travel or schools from operating.

-Do kids these days understand references to Mother Theresa? Or has she been dead too long for such references to make any sense? If she is no longer the go-to doer of good deeds, who has replaced her in our current collective conscience?

-I cooked a 7.78 pound picnic for dinner tonight. As expected, there was quite a bit of bone and not-meat but I was pleasantly surprised with how much proper meat we ended up getting. The portion that we didn't eat tonight I cubed, though I don't yet know how I might best use this meat.

-We all know what Scott Brown likely means for the public option, but do we have any idea where he stands on the vegetarian option?

-As some of you have likely sensed, there is something of a spat going on regarding who will host certain late night TV shows on NBC and/or when these shows will be airing. What I have been finding surprising about all of this is that so many people seem to care. This is all the more surprising because the whole event came about because of both hosts (Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien) getting bad ratings (which suggests that we are not particularly invested in their shows, just the idea of their shows). The most ironic aspect of the who thing is that it is likely that late night television as a whole hasn't received so much attention in years, and it is now only getting this attention because of the poor ratings of two of its more prominent hosts.

Of course, as much as I don't really care about the outcome, the whole thing has been rather entertaining.

-Earlier this evening I came a cross a soon to be released movie called Legion. The premise of the movie seems to be that God has become dissatisfied with humans and sent an army of angels to destroy the earth and human kind. Somehow a rebel angel and a handful of humans (possibly protecting the second coming of Christ) try to fight of the incoming angels of destruction. The idea of humans fighting against an all powerful God who seems to be attempting to destroy the second coming of his son (himself?) seems quite bizarre and absurd to me (how could they possibly win?). Though I haven't spent too much time thinking about this films theological message what time I have spent thinking about it has gotten me nowhere except to suspect that it likely doesn't make too much sense.

1 comment:

Jess said...

Brangelina has replaced Mother Theresa as the do-gooders of the collective public conciousness. It is a sad thing, but damn. Their kids are just so darn cute, can you blame us?

Also, I take it you don't want to see Legion when it hits theatres? I think it looks good. If by 'good' you mean 'bad - but in an awesome-I-can't-look-away kind of way.' See Brangelina as public do-gooders reference above.