Sunday, June 06, 2010

Not as bad as I thought

For years nutritional information has been noticeably absent from beer and alcohol packaging in Canada. For the most part I was in favour of this informational absence as I could then blissfully ignore the nutritional deficiencies of such beverages. Of course, that this was the case always seemed to be a condition that was likely to change, likely sooner rather than later (even though I am sure that brewers and consumers both wanted such information to remain absent from such packaging).

Anyway, last night, for the first time in my life, I encountered a case of beer with nutritional information (does this signify a sea change in beer packaging?). While the white box containing the nutritional information highlighted some of the nutritional deficiencies of beer, it also provided a few pleasant surprises about the more positive nutritional attributes of beer (such as the presence of both fibre and protein).

I decided to compare the nutritional provided on the beer packaging with a few other beverages and some cookies. As far as I am concerned, it seems that the beer compared favourably to these other products (particularly the ginger ale).



So it seems that my deepest fears about nutritional information appearing on beer packaging were unfounded. Amazingly, beer does surprisingly well in comparison with other forms of junk food.

No comments: