Tuesday, June 01, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 434

-After a morning and early afternoon of overcast and ominous-looking skies it has finally started to rain heavily. At the moment, though this wasn't the case a few minutes ago, Environment Canada is forecasting thundershowers along with the rain. Given the intensity of the rain and the grayness of the skies I guess I am willing to accept thundershowers as a possibility, even if they haven't been in earlier iterations of today's forecast.

-Late yesterday afternoon, after yesterday's post, I figured out why there was so much noise coming from the upstairs apartment. It seems that the carpets were being professionally cleaned. The cleaning was preceded and followed by furniture moving. This would also explain why we didn't hear much vacuuming yesterday.

-This morning, for breakfast, I made some bran muffins.



I was pretty pleased with the result, they were much moister and tastier than many that I have made in the past. I was pretty sure that this would be the outcome when I first examined the recipe (how can one go wrong when you use brown sugar, molasses and butter in the same recipe?).

-I think that I may make another batch of pasta this afternoon. This time, for the first time in my life, I will try to use a pasta press. My hope is that this will speed up the operation dramatically.

-Last night a poli sci friend called to see if I would be attending a poli sci grad student get-together. After a little bit of internal and external hemming and hawing I decided to attend (largely because of the promised attendance of the aforementioned friend). As it turned out, when I arrived I was able to find none of the other students expect this one friend and his wife. Instead of staying in a bar (three of the four of us were non-drinkers) we headed to a neighbouring coffee shop and had a very enjoyable get-together.

-While at the grocery store this afternoon I was able to pick up quite a number of sweet deals. In addition to the sales I expected to find (such as the buy one get one free pork tenderloin deal) I also came across a somewhat impromptu bargain section in which all items were priced at 50 cents (less the 10% student discount). I think I picked up 5 packages of wafers, 6 or 7 packages of tea, and a few other odds and ends. Hopefully I will be able to restrain myself from making a return trip later this afternoon just for the hot deals.

No comments: