Sunday, January 04, 2009

Adventures in Haircutting

For the past several months I have been having Neil cut my hair. Not only does this save me money, but it also allows me to have my hair cuts occur at times that suit me. The best part is that the haircuts have been working out pretty well (at least as far as I am concerned), even though Neil has no formal training in this area

Originally, Neil was using a haircutting set that he purchased for $10 at a discount store two years ago. As we should have guessed, this set wasn't particularly good. A few weeks ago, we noticed that a much better set was on sale for $20, a cost that could be recouped with only a few cuts. Unfortunately, due to our hectic schedules in mid-December Neil wasn't able to give me a trim with the new set prior to our departure. With the knowledge of the new set firmly in my memory, I spent most of the trip awaiting our return so that Neil could give me a trim using the new clippers.


Though it took me a day or so to talk him into it, this afternoon I finally managed to get him to agree to cut my hair this afternoon. After a brief strategy session in front of the bathroom mirror we moved to the cutting room (the kitchen). Neil really dove in quite quickly and removed quite a bit of my hair in just minutes.

With the rough work out of the way we moved on to the detailed refining of the cut. Eventually Neil started tidying up my neck with the bare trimmers. After a brief hiatus Neil decided that he would take a few more passes with the trimmer. As Neil was moving the trimmer towards my head I had a suspicion that he hadn't yet replaced the comb, and after a second or two Neil recoiled in horror, realizing that he had not replaced the comb and thus cleared a sizeable patch on the back of my head.

To attempt to rectify the situation Neil used one of the shortest combs and re-cut the previously cut areas in an attempt to even out the mistake. The result, not surprisingly, is a much shorter cut than I originally expected. Also, though I don't know how this happened, it seems that the haircut is a bit more like a bowl cut than I would originally imagined it would be. Presumably in a few weeks, once this has started to grow out, we can go back and re-touch things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

McFly, you Bojo.

Cameron said...

Which one of us?