Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 263

-For the past few days it has been on the cold side, some days going as low as -21 (maybe even colder). Today was a bit warmer, and it is forecast to be warmer still tomorrow. Unfortunately, with the rising temperatures we are supposed to get some snow, rain, and ice pellets, which seems like quite the combination.

-I managed to crank out another two loaves of bread this morning while preparing breakfast and working on school related things. It seems that Wednesday morning is a good day for me to do some bread baking.

-Today I had the opportunity to do some poking around in the Novanet catalogue (the union catalogue for Nova Scotia post-secondary institutions). The more I use this catalogue the more I think that it was designed to prevent access to materials. Not only are there all kinds of duplicate, and confusing, records, in many cases the records don't reflect what is actually available in the library (particularly when it comes to electronic journal access). I really don't understand how such a catalogue could have ever been deemed acceptable by any of the participating institutions.

-Recently I have been thinking that what we consider to be our tastes/preferences are really just functions of availability (mark another one up in the original thought tally).

-A few days ago I started using Google Reader. While I don't like everything about the service, I am generally pretty satisfied. I am somewhat amazed that it took me this long to start using a feed aggregator of some sort, particularly as there are a number of blogs that I check on a regular basis.

-I have to give my second round of lectures starting next week. Again I seem to have lucked out and picked a topic that I am familiar with and that relates to topics I have been reading about already this term. Hopefully they go a little more smoothly that some of my first lectures.

-We will be having a pot roast for dinner. Actually, I should consider taking things out of the oven in the very near future.

-A few days ago I came across the video for Colleen Power's new song New Townie Man. I was immediately taken with the piece, but that is likely only because I am townie male, and they tend to do pretty well in this piece.



Yesterday I was talking to a friend, who happens to be a 'bayman,' about this song and he expects that several responses to this song will be drafted and posted in the coming days and weeks. I really hope he is right, adding a Compton and Juice vs. Gazeebow Unit feel to this video and the resulting discourse would be great.

No comments: