Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 258

-Though we didn't get the storm that was briefly predicted, we did mange to get the above zero temperatures that were predicted. This means that much of the snow that has fallen in the past several days has now turned to slush. The particularly nice part about the arrangement is that as the temperature is now dropping quickly we are a great position to get all kinds of ice. Notably, the cement area outside my window may be a particularly good area for sliding in a few hours.

Just moments ago I learned that apparently the threat of ice was enough to close schools in Halifax this afternoon. As it is now after school closing time and the ice hasn't formed it seems that his may have been a slight over-reaction.

-Yesterday, while at school, I was told about a pile of crap that one of the offices was giving/throwing away. Almost as soon as I heard about this opportunity I made my way down to inspect the goods. Almost immediately it was clear that most of the things that were in the pile were on the obsolete and useless side of things. Fortunately I stuck to my inspection was thus able to nab myself a Dictaphone (complete with foot controller, headset, and tapes). The only problem with the find is that it didn't come with an appropriate AC adapter. Hopefully once I find an adapter I will have the Dictaphone up and running. I imagine that this should improve my efficiency by a fair margin.

-As celery is on sale this week at one of the local grocery store I picked up a bunch made myself a celery, carrot, onion salad for dinner. As I was making the salad I realized that I forgot to buy radishes, oh well, I guess if I head back to the store tomorrow I might pick some up.

-Today I learned that, if I am so inclined, I can buy a set of photocopies for one of my classes for $120. You may not be surprised to learn that I have decided to just go to the library instead. I can't see how I can justify paying $120 for things that I can borrow from the library for free (and now I can justify blowing $120 that I saved on school expenses).

-To save on textbook expenses in another class I decided to borrow the required books from other university libraries in Nova Scotia (which should work quite nicely as my loans are good until the end of May). I should give credit for this plan to Cheryl, who tried something similar last year (though there were a few glitches in the execution if I remember correctly).

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Have you considered using your microdisk recorder instead of the dictaphone?

Cameron said...

The Mini-Disc recorder/player did not come with a fancy foot peddle.