Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Few Quick Notes 264

-Though we had a pretty rough night last night and into the early hours of the morning, things seemed to have really cleared up by mid-morning. Unfortunately, much of the precipitation that fell as either rain or ice pellets turned into water and then re-froze as the day progressed. As things stand now, much of downtown Halifax, at least the sidewalks, seem to be covered in ice, or slush that hasn't yet turned into ice.

-One of the consequences of the less than pleasant weather was a delayed opening for Dalhousie. Shortly after I woke up this morning I learned that they wouldn't be opening until 11:00, which meant that I would be missing my first class of the day. Later in the morning I learned that my second class had been cancelled by the professor. In many ways, though I did appreciate the extra sleep, I would have liked to get these classes out of the way and not have had the week delay that is likely to occur. The other aspect of the closure that caused my excitement to be somewhat muted was that I had to head in to pick up a book from the library anyway.

-Though it is only increasing at the rate of a minute a day, I am really starting to enjoy the extra daylight we are getting as we head into spring. Within a few weeks I should be able to leave my evening class before the sun sets.

-I am making some chicken soup for dinner tonight. Because I happened to remember that I had a bag of barley I threw some in. Hopefully the barley will be a positive addition.

-Last night Neil, Rebecca, and I played a game of Settlers of Catan (along with the Fishermen of Catan addition). Somehow I managed to smoke them in about 30 minutes (or maybe even less). It seems that almost before we really started to play I had won (thanks to the hot 8s). Amazingly, I also managed to win the two games of Cribbage I played against Neil, making my gaming success rate abnormally high.

-Amazingly, the donated bus stop bench I mentioned a few days ago is still at the bus stop. I really thought that one of the many drunks that walk by each night would have either stolen it or broken it, but this seems not to have happened. Maybe it is because it is winter, but I still haven't seen anyone sitting on the bench.

No comments: