Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Baking: 2009

A few days ago my mother asked me if I might be interested in helping her do some of the Christmas baking this year. As I generally enjoy baking I agreed to assist with the process, which ended up happening today.

Though as of last night I knew that things would be taking place today, only this morning at about 10:30 did I learn that they would be starting at 10:30. I had assumed that we would have a civilized post-noon start, as I recall we have had in recent years.

Though I was rather abruptly awoken I quickly got down to work and started mixing some of the flour into the previously prepared buttermilk base. As it turns out, part way through the process we realized that we would not be able to fit all 11 batches (which is how many batches my mother decided to make) in a single mixing bowl, so we poured about half of the dough in another bowl.

At this stage, which was probably at about 11:00 AM, I thought that it might be fun to take a time-lapse video of the rest of the process. While not everything was captured, I think that this video very fairly represents the approximately 8 hours that we spent baking and decorating the bread.



[Embedded Video]

In case you are curious, part way through the process, while the bread was rising, I made a batch of rum balls. Near the end, once most of the baking had been completed, my father engaged in a little gift wrapping.

No comments: