Thursday, December 03, 2009

Fixtures, of the bathroom variety

Just a few days ago I had to visit a doctor's office to pick up an x-ray requisition. Before heading up to the office I stopped by one of building's public restrooms. Once in the restroom I noticed that the building's designers either really wanted each male restroom to have a urinal or that they didn't really have a sense of privacy. In case you are curious, this basic set-up exists in more than one of the building's bathrooms (which makes it all the more impressive).



A few weeks ago, though I don't really know why or how, the subject of bidets came up in our apartment. Eventually Rebecca even sent me a "how to" article on bidet use (though they are still a bit of a mystery to me). Given the recent discussions and my continuing failure to understand why they exist I was a little surprised to find one in bathroom just off of the x-ray waiting room at the local hospital (where I was getting the x-ray associated with aforementioned requisition). Given their rarity and that many North Americans don't seem to know how to use them or why they exist, I wonder how many times these bidets are misused in the hospital context. It seems that having such a fixture would just be an invitation for trouble, particularly given that as you are in a hospital you know that some relatively high number of people are likely a little bit more out of it than usual. Though I was thinking of temporarily creating a fountain with this bidet I settled for just taking a photo.



To finish this theme off, while I was having my x-ray taken our apartment's bathroom was having its faucets examined for leaks and a new shower head installed. While these aren't really fixtures, I think that they qualify as related.

No comments: