Thursday, April 08, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 417

-We have some really beautiful weather recently. While today wasn't as warm as it has been, it was certainly still a very beautiful day.

-I am now 4/20, which might be restated as 1/5, in this year's Roll Up the Rim to Win contest. So it seems that I am actually doing much better than expected. I would have to drop to 4/36 to be where one would expect to be, and then below that to be doing worse than average. So maybe this year hasn't been quite as much of a wash as I was thinking it would be.

-I am not sure quite what it is, but our post Underlining Fail seems to be quite frequently hit with spam comments. Though we have more of these in recent months than we have ever had before, this one post seems to attract the majority of them. I am always somewhat teased when I see that we new comment only to find out that we have once again been spammed.

-For the past two nights I have had my sleep disrupted by what I presume is a mouse in the wall between the two bedrooms in our apartment. The ruckus was so loud last night that both Rebecca and I were basically unable to sleep for more than an hour at around 4:00 AM. The worst part of all of this is that it almost sounded as though the little guys were chewing/tugging on some of the wiring in the wall.

Tonight I reported the problem to the superintendent's husband, who indicated that he would call an exterminator tomorrow (or throw down a few glue traps if he had them). Both Rebecca and I are really hoping that we end up with the exterminator rather than glue traps (which won't be anywhere close to the problem).

-We are down to our final few bottles of Club Soda. Apparently 56 liters of Club Soda doesn't last all that long.

-Today I had my last class for the term. I still have a few things to take care of before my 'summer' starts. Of course, it being summer means that instead of classes to attend each day I will have reading to attend to. Should be fun.

-One of my department's senior professors retired last Summer, though is only now being thrown out of his office. To prepare for the move he is getting rid of many of his books. I was able to pick up a few that should be relevant to my thesis research, as well as a few that relate to personal interests. The most noteworthy of my picks, at least from the standpoint of my place of birth, was Smallwood: The Unlikely Revolutionary by Richard Gwyn (I am presently part way through Gwyn's biography of Macdonald). Oh, I also picked up a copy of Creighton's biography of Macdonald (and to think that just yesterday I had a conversation with a friend in which I claimed to be better at reducing my acquisition tendencies than I had been in the past).

5 comments:

Donald McKay said...

I read that book of Gwynn's ages ago. I was trying to get one autographed for you, but the only Gwynn book that I could find new was the one on Sir John A. I had 2 TH wins in a row. I am about 5 for 20.

Cameron said...

Given this copy's provenance it would be pretty neat if I could get it signed by him some day.

It sounds as though you are also doing pretty well this year. Have you done anything special to pick up your game?

Jess said...

Apparently playing for two does not provide sufficient motivation to do well at Timmie's roulette. I found that the "inhale, hope and roll" tactic often yielded results. Perhaps you should give it a try.

Cameron said...

I don't know, playing for two seems to mean that I am doing better than average, so thus far I would consider it a success.

Jess said...

Ah, I misread. I was thinking about your earlier posts where you expressed dismay about your RUtR standing. If you are content, then I am pleased as well. I am especially pleased to know that I can trust you with such important tasks in the future. I can taste the free coffee from here (and it tastes better than the junk they serve in Korea).