Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Few Quick Notes 418

-After a few days of great weather we have moved into a period of somewhat cooler and grayer weather. Fortunately things haven't gotten quite so cold that we are in frost zone.

-Our Easter turkey is almost gone, which is good. I killed off our turkey soup for lunch and will try to finish off the remaining turkey leg (unless Rebecca wants to chow down on it).

-Earlier this afternoon I learned that Newfoundland performance legend Donnie Dumphy will be performing in Halifax at the Paragon on April 17, 2010. Though I really don't know what such a show would entail, I am definitely somewhat tempted.

If you are not familiar with the works of Mr. Dumphy one of the best ways to get up to speed is to check out his videos.

-I am in the midst of reading Th Unexpected War, a book by Janice Gross Stein and Eugene Lange about how Canada became entangled in the Afghanistan front. The book is largely based on interviews with government and military insiders, so I was a little surprised to see that Ross Reid, a Campbell era cabinet minister and Williams' government appointee, was included in this list. It seems that Reid was working in Afghanistan with an NGO and managed to provide the Canadian government with insightful advice (though I am getting the sense that this was largely ignored).

-For about the past year and half I/we have been buying the same store-brand frozen corn. It seems that with the most recent bag the type of corn they are using has switched and that we are now getting something that is much sweeter, almost too sweet. I hope this change isn't permanent as I think that such a change would cause me to switch to their competitor's store-brand frozen corn (and that would be much more inconvenient for us all).

1 comment:

Donald McKay said...

Check out Christine McLean's Facebook photos. She just returned from Cuba, and she has a photo of a DonnieDunphy.com bumper sticker that was pasted on an outdoor light post.